Tuesday, December 15, 2015

XC (Our Cross Country to us first timers!)

I talked Emma and Ethan into joining their middle schools cross country team. And, when I say I "talked" them into...I actually made them join!  They both are pretty shy when it comes to joining clubs or attending events, so I have to give them that little push they need!  

We decided early on that they would attend 2 different middle schools.  As the crow flies, they are about a mile apart.  But, the schools are fierce competitors when it comes to sports. 

After the first few practices, they were both asking to quit the team.  But, me being the good Mom explained that they were now part of a team and they were being counted on.  Of course, I got the ol' eye roll and tears, but they kept at it.  We went to the YWCA a few times for extra practice.  I was very impressed with them both.  I am not a runner, so to watch them do it made me very proud! 

Since Ethan is diabetic, I went to all of his meets.  I was able to attend 2 of Emma's and they ran against each other for another meet.  They were both very concerned with coming in last.  I wasn't concerned with how they finished, just ask them to do their best and to hold their heads high when they crossed the finish line.
Go Emma!

Strong finish for Ethan!



My cup runneth over!

This sums up Emma!

Emma and her friends waiting for Ethan to pass!  
They cheered and cheered for him!

And, there he goes!



Tired, but she finished strong!

Still smiling!


I love watching the kids with their friends!  They are so concerned about me standing around alone, but I'm usually taking pictures and just watching them interact.  They cheer each other on and really do encourage one another.

One day I asked them what they think about when they run.  Ethan says he thinks about not throwing up...typical 12 year old response! Emma on the other hand likes to imagine the biggest grilled cheese sandwich waiting on her at the finish line...with lots of mayo!!  She loves her grilled cheeses!!

The season seemed so short.  They were both glad they joined the team and hated to see the end of the season.  I will definitely "encourage" them to join again next year!  Way to go Emma and Ethan!  I'm so proud of you both for stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something that was really difficult for you.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful.
    The best part .... They cheer each other on and really do encourage one another.

    ReplyDelete