Friday, December 18, 2015

Easy Peezy Popcorn Balls

If you know me, you know that I can not cook!  I am embarrassed to admit just how many times I have pulled things back out of the oven to add ingredients that I missed.  I rock at opening cans and can make a mean box of mac and cheese!  The kids are used to the smoke detector going off and I often hear "Mommy, something is burning!"!!  

I can usually make sweet treats without messing them up too badly...except that one dreadful banana bread incident!!  I like to make things for the kids to give their teachers for Christmas.  I've made the same thing for the last several years and decided to switch up. Maybe not my best thought, but it turned out great! I follow the blog Mennonite Girls Can Cook. I enjoy looking through their blog as some of the recipes they showcase reminds me of my family's cooking in Pennsylvania. I come from a great family of cooks, but it has obviously skipped over me!

This week, they blogged about popcorn balls.  I read through the recipe and it seemed easy enough, even for me.  So, that night, we got out the ol' popcorn maker and set about making them for teachers, coworkers and friends.

So glad I had this popper on hand! 
Movie anyone?

One of my helpers
This step is the one that made me nervous!  I could just hear the smoke detector going off mid process, but it didn't!  The marshmallows cooked down easily.  **Whew, what a relief!**

The marshmallows have been added to the
popcorn. The kids decided to make
them festive and added sprinkles!



We made them smaller than suggested. They were quite sticky to form into balls.  The only thing we did differently was spraying a little cooking spray on our hands to keep them from pulling apart.  
My taste testers give these popcorn balls 2 thumbs up!  If you are interested in making them, I have added the link for the recipe here. We will be making more of these while we are out on Christmas break.

No comments:

Post a Comment